What is the best way to apply thermal compound when reseating a CPU?
- Clean the CPU and the base of the heat sink with isopropyl alcohol before applying the thermal compound.
- Use rubbing alcohol to clean the base of the heat sink before applying thermal compound.
- Scrape off the old thermal compound on the heat sink with a sharp knife and apply the thermal compound liberally.
- Put a thick layer of thermal compound over the existing thermal compound before reseating the CPU.
- Change the base of the heat sink before applying the thermal compound.
Isopropyl alcohol should be used to clean both the surface of the heat sink and CPU before reapplication of the thermal compound. Rubbing alcohol should not be used as it contains impurities