What is indicated by the term throughput?
- the guaranteed data transfer rate offered by an ISP
- the capacity of a particular medium to carry data
- the measure of the usable data transferred across the media
- the measure of the bits transferred across the media over a given period of time
- the time it takes for a message to get from sender to receiver
Throughput is the measure of the transfer of bits across the media over a given period of time. Throughput is affected by a number of factors such as, EMI and latency, so it rarely matches the specified bandwidth for a network medium. The throughput measurement includes user data bits and other data bits, such as overhead, acknowledging, and encapsulation. The measure of the usable data transferred across the media is called goodput.