126.96.36.199 Packet Tracer – Connect to a Switch via the Console Port Answers
Packet Tracer – Connect to a Switch via the Console Port (Answers Version)
Answers Note: Red font color or gray highlights indicate text that appears in the Answers copy only.
- Connect a computer to the switch console interface.
- Use a terminal program to communicate with the switch.
Background / Scenario
In this activity, you will use a console cable to connect to a switch. From the terminal, you can observe the screen output during the power up process.
Step 1: Connecting to the Switch.
- Select End Devices from the options in the bottom left-hand corner. Drag and drop 1 generic PC onto your work area.
- Select Connections from the bottom left-hand corner. Choose console-through cable type. Click the first PC0 and assign the cable to the RS232 connector. Click Switch0 and select console.
Step 2: Observe the power up process using a terminal.
- Click PC0.
- Select Desktop > Terminal.
- Review the terminal configuration. Click OK to continue.
- The terminal displays the output from when the switch was powering up.
- Press Return to access the prompt.
- To reload the switch to observe the power up process during startup, enter enable at the prompt.
- Enter reload at the prompt to start the reload of the switch. Press Enter to confirm.
Proceed with reload? [confirm]