188.8.131.52 Lab – Threat identification Answers
Lab – Threat Identification (Answers Version)
Answers Note: Red font color or gray highlights indicate text that appears in the Answers copy only.
Explore the security features used by organizations to keep data safe.
Part 1: Exploring the Threat of Cyberattacks
Part 2: CIA Triad
Background / Scenario
The threats posed by the cyber world are real. These threats have the potential to wreak havoc on life in a computer centric world. Understanding these threats is important to everyone and in order to combat them, the world needs committed individuals that can recognize threats, and outmaneuver and outsmart cyber criminals. In order to develop the talent needed, organizations like CompTIA, Cisco Systems and ISC2 have created programs to educate and certify cyber professionals.
- PC or mobile device with Internet access
Part 1: Exploring the Threat of Cyberattacks
Cyberattacks top the list of threats facing countries around the world. When people think of threats to national or world security, most people think of physical attacks or weapons of mass destruction. The fact is cyber threats top the list in over twenty countries around the world. The ranking of cyberattacks in the number one spot reveals a few things about how society has changed. Computers and computer networks affect the way we learn, shop, communicate, travel, and live. Computer systems control almost every aspect of our lives. The disruption of computer systems and computer networks can have a devastating impact on modern life. Electrical power generation and distribution systems, water treatment and supply systems, transportation, and financial systems are all targets of cyberattacks. Each of these systems has been a victim of cyberattacks. Watch the video below. Break into groups of 3-4 people. After viewing the video, answer the questions below.
Step 1: Research Threats.
In step 1, you will research threats.
- Click here to view the video. According to the video, what is the most dangerous weapon in the world? Why? Do you agree?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A computer in the wrong hands is the most dangerous weapon in the world. Other weapons have the ability to create great harm, but computers are present everywhere and people can use them to attack one another or large organizations, in anonymity. They can also be used to bully a classmate, or steal someone’s identity.
- List five ways a cyber-criminal can use computers to break the law. Can any of the crimes you listed affect you personally? Have you or your family members been affected by these crimes?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A computer in the wrong hands can be used to steal someone’s identity, make illegal purchases using other people’s credit cards, or posting objectionable pictures on the web. Answers will vary.
- Have any of the potential threats portrayed in the video actually happened? Click here to learn more about these attacks.
Answers will vary.
Step 2: Explore Recent Attacks.
- The impact and scope of recent cyberattacks have many business and government officials concerned. Click here to review the top 10 most devastating cyber hacks or 2015.
How many people did the US Office of Personnel Management data breach affect?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This breach was one of the biggest ever of a US government system. The data theft consisted of stealing addresses, health information, and financial details of 19.7 million people who were subjected to government background checks, as well as 1.8 million others.
- Describe the TalkTalk attack of 2015. Who was responsible and what did the cyber criminals steal?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The mobile phone provider was the target of a group of teenage hackers who stole the customer information details of over 20,000 customers.
Part 2: CIA Triad
Confidentiality, integrity, and availability are the three fundamental cybersecurity principles. These three principles make up the CIA triad. The elements of the triad are the three most crucial components of security. All cybersecurity professionals should be familiar with these core principles.
Step 1: Explore the CIA Triad.
- Click here to view the video. What is data confidentiality? Why is data confidentiality so important to people and organizations?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Confidentiality is protecting the privacy of information. People and organizations use information systems for many day-to-day activities. When using computer systems, individuals and business are often required to share very sensitive data. The organizations that collect this data are responsible for its safety and privacy. In the wrong hands, sensitive information can be misused to commit illegal activity.
- What is data integrity? Name three ways data integrity or trustworthiness is affected.
Data integrity is the principle of protecting and maintaining the consistency, accuracy, and trustworthiness of data over its entire life cycle. Equipment failure, errors, mistakes by people, or attacks by cyber-criminal who intentionally change, delete or damage data, are all examples of how data integrity is affected.
- What is system availability? What can happen if a critical computer system is no longer available?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The cybersecurity principle of Availability states that information and information systems must be available when needed. Availability systems must have properly functioning computing systems, services and communication channels. Loss of availability can affect any services and access to data on the systems. In the case of a bank system availability failure, a bank customer would not be able to deposit or withdraw money to or from the bank.
Step 2: Explore Cyberattacks.
Click here to watch a video. What were the cybercriminals trying to do? What time of the day did the attack occur? Are network attacks likely to occur after hours? Why?
The cybercriminals were attempting to gain access to the Garrison Inc. network. The attack took place at 17:00 on a Friday. Most external network attacks will occur after work hours because the organization is less likely to detect the attack.