126.96.36.199 Lab – My Local Network Answers
Lab – My Local Network (Answers Version)
Answers Note: Red font color or gray highlights indicate text that appears in the Answers copy only.
- Record all of different network attached devices in your home or classroom.
- Investigate how each device connects to the network to send and receive information.
- Create a diagram showing the topology of your network.
- Label each device with its function within the network.
The path that a message takes from its source to destination can be as simple as a single cable connecting one computer to another or as complex as a network that literally spans the globe. The network infrastructure contains three categories of hardware components:
- End devices
- Intermediary network devices
- Network media
Take a close look at the network you have at home or school. Record the network and end-user devices that are connected on the local network.
|Apple||iPhone||Mobile||Wireless||WiFi & cell phone|
|Samsung||Galaxy Smart Phone||Mobile||Wireless||WiFi & cell phone|
|Cisco||Cable Modem||Home office||Wired||Cable TV coaxial cable and Ethernet cable.|
|Linksys||Wireless Router||Home office||Wired||Ethernet cable.|
|Apple||MacBook Air||Mikayla’s Room||Wireless||WiFi|
|Beats by Dre||Headphones||My Room||Wireless||Bluetooth|
|Microsoft||Xbox||My Room||Wired||Ethernet Cable|
Continue the list on a separate page if necessary.
- Are there other electronic devices that are not connected to the local network to share information or resources? What would be the benefit of having these devices online?____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Which type of connectivity is used most frequently in your local network, wired or wireless?_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Draw a diagram of your local network. Label each device with a name and location.